Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Wednesday's Words: Scope. An Excerpt from Small Town Secrets

 

 Welcome to Wednesday's Words where I share a snippet from one of my stories using yesterday's word from the New York game Wordle. Yesterday's Wordle was SCOPE.




*SADIE

I met Piper for lunch Monday at the Yellow Finch Café and told her about my stay at the Haywood’s cabin and the happenings at my own house.

“He sounds perfect,” she said with a sigh. “And he has brothers, right?” She grinned. “One for you and five for me?”

How typical of Piper to skip right over the strange appearances of the trophy and scrapbook and focus on the men.

“Who do you think moved the scrapbook and trophy?” I tried dragging the conversation away from Caden and his brothers.

“And they’re all really rich, too, right?”

I stirred my crackers into my tomato basil soup. “Do you think it’s my dad playing some sort of mind game with me?”

“No.” Piper sobered and put down her sandwich. “Do you really want to know who is moving things in your house?”

“Of course.”

“It’s you.”

“Me?”

“Think about it. You have a history of sleep walking. You know it’s triggered by stress. You moved out to a house in the middle of the boonies and there was thunder and lightning.”

I grimaced and sipped my soup. “I actually thought of that.”

“Mystery solved. Now, when I can meet Caden and his brothers?”

“You can help him find a place to live.”

“In Cascadia?” Her voice squeaked. “I’m not sure anyone lives there other than cows.” She paused for a moment as if lost in thought.

“He’s handsome, right?” she asked as if his looks had any bearing on Cascadia’s real estate market. “And you two are shacking up?”

“You know it’s not like that, and besides, he’s in love with someone else, remember?”

Piper pointed a spoon at me. “But she, crazy person that she is, doesn’t love him back. That’s good news for you.”

“But, also, sad for him.”

“Should I call him?” Piper pulled out her phone and began to type on it.

“What are you doing?” My voice squeaked with panic.

“Looking him up, of course. He’s gorgeous. Oh look!” Her shoulders did a little happy dance. “There’s an article about him in the Cascadia Chronicles.”

“There is? What does it say?”

Piper handed me her phone. “It’s just about him taking over the veterinarian practice.”

I had barely skimmed the news write up before she grabbed the phone back. “Oh, his brothers aren’t bad either.”

“Sadie?” a male voice called.

I twisted in my chair to spot Dr. Mitchell striding my way. Tall, blonde, and perpetually wearing a stethoscope, he seemed glad to see me.

“I thought that was you,” he said.

Piper, the only one of us not wearing scrubs, beamed and held out her hand.

“Dr. Mitchell, this is my friend, Piper Hayes.”

“Hey, Piper.” He took her hand but kept his gaze on me. “It’s funny running into you here. I was just thinking about you.”

I didn’t know what to say, but, fortunately, Piper did.

“How do you two know each other?” Piper asked when Dr. Mitchell dropped her hand.

“He’s the doctor of a few of my patients,” I said.

“And they only have good things to say about you.” He smiled down at me. “Everyone loves Nurse Sadie.”

“As they should,” Piper put in.

“I have your number, right?” Dr. Mitchell asked.

“I’m… not sure,” I stammered.

“I guess I can get it from Tisha Wong.”

“Or she can just give it to you.” Piper kicked me under the table.

Dr. Mitchell, looking proud of himself, pulled out his phone, and handed it to me.

I typed in my number.

After pocketing his phone, he said goodbye and walked away.

Piper put her elbows on the table and leaned my way. “Should I become a nurse?”


No comments:

Post a Comment