Tuesday, September 7, 2021

How Not to Panic

 

Here we are on one of the hottest, driest days of the year dreaming of falling leaves and temperatures and pumpkin spice everything. Sweater weather still seems like it's a long ways away, but hopefully, it'll get here soon.

We had a glorious, but also a sort of sad and scary August.

Glorious: we had a wonderful time at Bass Lake. We rented a ten-bedroom house with three gathering rooms, two kitchens, and a yard. There were goats, chickens, and horses next door. But the best part was the lake. Because there were beaches surrounding the lake, every family could bring their own car (and yes, we took our fifteen-year-old suburban, and yes, by some miracle, it ran just fine) to the beach so if kids or grownups got fussy and tired, they could go back to the house without us all having to jump ship. The lake is much smaller than Meade or Powel, (our lakes of choice for the past 20 years) of course, but so pretty in its own way.

I'd debated on whether or not to go to my sister’s reunion because I'd have to leave almost as soon as I got home, and that's pretty contradictory from my homebody nature. Before leaving for Bass Lake, I folded up all of the clothes I'd take to my sister’s reunion and put them on my bathroom counter so if I decided to go, I could easily empty out my suitcase and repack. (In case you didn't know, lake attire--shorts, t-shirts, and swim suits--is vastly different from the reunion wear, which always includes theater and restaurant going.) Once I got to Bass Lake, my daughter came up with the brilliant idea that instead of driving all the way home and then driving to Provo, I take her car directly to my sisters' and her family would then drive home with Larry. But what about my clothes? My son-in-law, who had stayed to work and was flying up the next day, intruded on our dog-sitter, packed up my clothes, and brought them for me. The 12-hour drive was hard, but thanks to audiobooks, completely doable. I had an amazing time (as always) and made it home in time for my grandson’s 2nd birthday party.

Once home, I quickly/gratefully fell back into my daily life routine. It was a little different, because my daughter went to Utah, so she wasn't here to do yoga with me. The same day she returned, her sister flew to Wisconsin, so now I don't have anyone to watch Teen Wolf with, and I feel silly watching it by myself.

The sad and scary part happened about ten days ago. (Although, sad and scary could also describe the last season of Teen Wolf.) I had a panic attack. It seemed so unnecessary, but if it’s true, as I’ve been told, panic attacks are induced by prolonged stress (hello, pandemic) maybe it makes more sense than I’d thought. Even though many of my family members suffer with them, I'd had just one about 4 years before. At that time, I'd been in the hospital suffering from horrific pain and waiting for surgery to remove a uterine cyst. When I had the panic attack, I'd thought I was having a heart attack, but they ran tests and told me it had been a panic attack, which feels like a heart attack. (I assume, since I haven't actually had a heart attack.) Looking back, I'm super glad I'd had that earlier experience, (I wish I could have done without all that pain, though) otherwise I would have absolutely thought I'd had a heart attack that night. It’s sad. I’ve had to cut back on anything that makes my heart race. I’m still writing, but I’ve cut out any sort of deadlines. I don’t make commitments I don’t feel I can keep. I didn’t send out the ARC copies to my read and review team, and I apologize for that (but that doesn’t mean I’ll send them out.) Anything that requires effort I don’t have to spend has been put on the chopping block until further notice.

With my daughter in Wisconsin, I'm on puppy patrol. Billie, and I are doing great. I've been taking her on my long walks, and I love having her scaring away all the bunnies and lizards. Everyone needs a Billie. Do you have someone to keep the scaries at bay? 

Do you have something to read?

To celebrate the release of my latest book in the Witching Well series (clean and wholesome time travel romance) my first in the series is only .99 cents and the second book is free. The Witching Well series is a little like Outlander, minus the outlandishness, and my characters go to different times and places. Why did I make the second book free and not the first? Simple, the books can be read in any order, but mostly because I prefer it. Here's what readers like you are saying about The Cowboy Encounter.

               

5.0 out of 5 stars magical fantastical

Reviewed in the United States on September 1, 2021

I can’t wait to read the entire series. Fantasy come true as those who drink from the witching well find themselves in a different place in a different time.

 

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cowboy Encounter

Reviewed in the United States on September 1, 2021

Verified Purchase

It was an interesting book. It was light reading and kept my attention. I would like to read more of Kristy Tate. Eloise Alden. It was intriguing to figure out who the man was in the black hat.

 

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting time travel with an HEA

Reviewed in the United States on August 31, 2021

Verified Purchase

Dr. Becca Martin falls into the Witching well and finds herself in Everwood, CO in 1870. She soon finds herself treating a handsome man with a gunshot wound. They travel to his ranch and then to Denver, back to CT in the 21st century and from there back to his ranch which she now inherits from her father.

Take care and thanks for hanging in there with me,

Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment