Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Wednesday's Words: Chapter One, The Rancher's Romance

 Book 5 in the Witching Well series. 

I've had the idea for this book for some time. Years ago, so long ago I'm not even sure where I can find the account, I read in one of my ancestor's personal histories that a leader of our church traveled to Wyoming (where my ancestor had a sheep ranch) and prophesied that one day the arid land would one day be worth millions. My ancestor (I suppose I really should find out who) faithfully held onto his ranch land. Years later, oil was discovered on the neighboring ranch.

Last week, I visited Cowley, Wyoming--home of my grandparents' sheep ranch and my parents' hometown.



My grandparents' graves in the Cowley cemetery.


A monument commemorating World War veterans, including both my mom and dad.

The Cowley Academy where my parents attended school, and my mom was the valedictorian.




In The Rancher's Romance, Brad West's business, due to poor speculation, is on the verge of bankruptcy. His wife wants a divorce. Life looks grim. The Witching Well, he decides, is the answer. He learned that his great, great grandfather had once owned oil-rich Wyoming land, but he sold it before the oil discovery. Brad's plan is to travel back to the 1930s, buy the land, and secure the deed.

But, of course, Wyoming in the midst of the Great Depression, isn't a walk in the park. And buying the sheep ranch isn't as easy as Brad had thought it would be. And things get a lot more complicated when Mia shows up with divorce papers...

CHAPTER ONE


BRAD

 

Brad leaned against the bar, one ankle crossed over the other, surveying the gathering. How typical of the Fleurs to throw a wedding at a barn. Jason was as rich as Hades and Joel’s cosmetic company was an overnight sensation. Either one of them could have thrown a wedding worthy of the society pages and yet, here they were eating pigs in a blanket in a barn to celebrate their mom’s wedding. Ridiculous.

Jason caught his eye and strode his way. Brad tried to tamp down his rivalry toward his younger cousin. Their grandmother had always favored Jason, probably because with his dark Mediterranean coloring coupled with his startling blue eyes, he looked like the West side of the family. Brad, on the other hand, was more the color of dirt—brown eyes, brown hair. And now, thanks to a sad turn of fate, he was also dirt poor. While Jason not only had financial success, but also Celia, Mia's sister…Brad cut off his dark thoughts and plastered on a smile.

“You’re brave being here.” Jason pointed his glass at Brad. His tone carried wonderment tinged with a hint of admiration.

“What can I say? Claudette loves me.” Brad strove to sound nonchalant, even though the last few hours had greatly pained him. Watching Mia with that stuffed shirt Darrel Doyle had been like sitting through church with a burr stuck on his butt, an irritation it would have been rude to scratch or inspect. Not that he wanted to reflect on his relationship with Mia. He tried not to think of her, but that endeavor was going about as well as his failing business.

“Celia tells me you refuse to sign the divorce papers.” Jason sipped from a champagne flute and watched Brad over the rim.

“Is that the story Mia’s telling?” Brad pulled away from the bar and headed for a corner table near some stacked hay bales. Mason jars filled with sunflowers sat in a ring of strewn sawdust on each table. He didn’t know if Jason would follow him, or not, and he also didn’t care. He not only didn’t want to think about Mia, he also didn’t want to discuss her.

“Are you saying it’s not true?”

Jason must have followed, because his voice was at Brad’s back—hitting him squarely between the shoulder blades like a well-placed knife.

Brad sat at the table in the shadows and sent up a silent plea that Jason would join him. After the Clinton property debacle, Brad had one last scheme on how to save his company and it was not only a long shot but also just one brush away from hair-brained. Just thinking of what Mia would say if she knew made him inwardly cringe.

He shouldn’t care what she thought. But he did.

Jason braced his hands on the back of a chair. “Look, I love you, but I’m also a member of this family—”

“Claudette invited me, okay? I wouldn’t have come if she hadn’t. If Mia has an issue with my being here, she should bring it up with her grandmother.” Brad dropped his voice so it was barely audible above the sound of the string quartet playing across the barn floor. The quartet had stuck with classical music before the ceremony, but since then they’d abandoned pretentiousness and had been playing Blue Grass for the last twenty minutes. Brad wasn’t sure how much more he could take.

His gaze slid to Mia and Darrel. They sat on the other side of the barn, but despite the distance between them, the music, the clinking of forks against plates, and dozens of conversations flitting in the air, he could still hear her laughter. And it still pained him.

Brad straightened his shoulders and gave himself a mental pep talk. He would say what he needed to say and leave. “To be perfectly honest, I probably wouldn’t have come, but I have to know. Are the stories about the Witching Well true?”

Jason blinked at the sudden change of subject and settled into a chair across the table from him. “I told you what happened to me and Celia.”

Brad sipped his champagne and felt the tingles tickle his nose. His gaze kept slipping to Mia. When she wasn’t glaring at him, she was so beautiful it made him ache. He stared into his drink. “Do you think it could work for me?”

“What?”

Brad looked up with a glare. “You heard me.”

“No,” Jason said without hesitation. He braced both hands on the table as if to push himself to his feet. “It won’t work for you.”

Brad grabbed Jason’s wrist. “Why do you say that?”

Jason shook him loose. “Because whatever you have planned, it’s a bad idea.”

Brad leaned back in his chair and laced his fingers together behind his head. “You don’t know what I’m planning.”

“I don’t have to. I know you. You’re infamous for your bad decisions.”

Brad dropped his hands. “That’s not fair.”

“You let Mia go.”

Brad let out a long breath. “My plans have nothing to do with Mia, by the way.”

Jason rocked back in his chair. “You’re not planning on going back in time and trying to salvage your marriage?”

“No. I won’t even see Mia. I’ll be far, far away and years before her birth.”

Jason brought the front legs of his chair to the earth, leaned forward, and studied Brad. “Why?”

Brad swirled his champaign flute and watched the bubbles turn into a mini whirlpool. “I’ll tell you if you’ll tell me how it can be done.”

“There are no guarantees, you know.” Jason’s gaze turned to suspicious slits. “What are you up to?”

Brad sipped his drink and swallowed before speaking. “This benefits you just as much it does me.”

Jason cocked his eyebrow but didn’t say a word.

Brad sucked in a deep breath. “Okay. You don’t have to tell me. In fact, please don’t. I’ll find a way to make it happen on my own, and then I won’t share the spoils.”

“Spoils?” Jason asked. “What sort of spoils?”

Brad tapped his fingers on the tablecloth. “The well is around here somewhere…”

“What are you planning?” Jason put his hand flat on the table. “You know it can be dangerous, right?”

“How so?” Maybe if he could keep Jason engaged in the conversation, his cousin would slip up and offer a clue.

“You could end up anywhere,” Jason said. “Besides, Celia has a theory that it can only happen to members of the Fleur family.”

“You went, and, supposedly, so did Becca Martin.”

“Not all of the theories hold—pun intended—water.”

Brad scratched his chin, thinking. He’d really rather have Jason’s help than attempt this on his own, but, knowing his cousin, he had to spin it the right way. “Do you want in, or not?”

“What are you trying to do?” Jason asked. “I’m only asking because if something happens to you, I don’t want to face Aunt May’s wrath.”

“Mom will be fine.”

“You’re her only child.”

Brad rubbed his hands together. “Which makes it all the sweeter. We have less people who’ll want a cut.”

“A cut of what?”

Brad propped his elbows on the table and leaned forward. “You know Great Grandpa West owned a sheep ranch in the Big Horn Valley.”

“In Wyoming,” Jason said.

Brad nodded. “Today, that land is worth millions.”

“What?” Jason looked as if he couldn’t believe what Brad was telling him.

“Oil fields.” Brad steepled his fingers and tapped them together. “Do you see where I’m going with this?”

“Does this have anything to do with the Clinton property?”

Brad waved his hand as if he could make the Clinton’s disappear. “That’s old news.” Or so he hoped. “I’m going to convince Great, Great Grandpa West to sell that land to me.”

Jason let out a huff of disbelief and shook his head. “This isn’t going to work.”

“Why not?”

“Why would he sell you the land?”

“Why not? I’m going to offer him twice whatever he sold it for back in the thirties.”

“You know, Western Wyoming during the Great Depression wasn’t exactly a party place.”

Brad rubbed his forehead. “I’m not the partier Mia says I am.”

“That may or may not be true,” Jason said, “But never the less—”

“Come on, Jason. Don’t you see? That land could-have-should-have belonged to us.”

“We’re not entitled to anything—” Jason bit back his anger. “Listen, I’m not going to help you because I personally don’t believe in chasing the easy buck.”

“Oh, man. Can you listen to yourself? Can you get any more self-righteous?”

Jason stood and strode away from the table without saying another word.

Brad watched him go, his emotions waffling. Part of him knew he didn’t need Jason’s cooperation or his blessing. He’d find some way to get to 1932 Wyoming with or without his cousin’s help.

A hand fell on his shoulder. He looked up to see Lacy Harmon, one of Celia’s best friends. She squeezed his shoulder and offered him a smile. “It’s good to see you, Brad. I miss you seeing you in the studio.”

Before the split, Mia had routinely dragged him into Lacy’s Yoga Go Go. His willingness to follow Mia into the studio was evidence of his love—not for the practice, but for his wife. Not that he minded being surrounded by dozens of nimble yogis—most of them scantily clad females who were, for the most part, as lovely as Lacy—but he preferred to work out on the basketball court or the football field. Not that he hadn’t enjoyed yoga, but he’d gone mostly to be with Mia.

He gazed at Lacy. With her blonde hair, blue eyes, and rosebud lips, she was a pretty little thing, but she reminded him of a piece of dandelion fluff. Wispy, insubstantial, and about as deep as a mud puddle.

She dropped into a chair beside him and pinned him with her gaze. “How are you?” Her focus slid across the room to Mia before returning to him. “Is this hard for you? Seeing your ex with someone else?”

Brad swallowed. He wasn’t about to open himself up to Lacy and he bit back the urge to tell her to go down-dog herself. “I’m fine.” The words sounded harsher than he’d intended. He softened his tone and tried to practice sincerity. “How are you?”

Lacy flushed and a light in her eyes lit. “I’m good, thanks for asking.” She reached out and fiddled with a piece of sawdust. “I’m thinking of selling my studio.”

Aw. That was it. She wasn’t really interested in him. She just wanted him to list her property. Why did that hurt? He wasn’t interested in Lacy, either, so why would it hurt when she reached out with a business proposition?

Maybe because he wasn’t someone who wasn’t his mother to care.

“You know it used to be my grandfather’s cigar shop,” Lacy was saying. “And even after all these years, I can still smell the smoke. Could you come by and tell me what you think I could sell it for? I don’t know anything about real estate.”

“Sell your shop?” It was a prime downtown Woodinville location. He could sell it in a heartbeat, but what about Lacy? Where would she go?

Lacy nodded. “I’m thinking of—” She broke off her sentence, stood. “I’m sorry. I have to go. I’ll call you tomorrow.” She scurried away without a backward glance.

That was weird, but then, Lacy had always been a little off. He stared at her retreating back, puzzled.

A hand dropped on his shoulder. He twisted to see Mia standing behind him. The late afternoon sun streaming through the barn’s massive doorway backlit her, giving her a halo around her beautiful strawberry blonde hair. Even when she scowled she was beautiful. “Hey,” he said softly.

“Did you sign the papers?” she asked without preamble.

“Yeah,” he lied. “They’re at my apartment.” That, at least, was true.

Her expression brightened and Brad’s heart twisted. Why was she so eager to end their marriage? To sever what little they had left together?

“I’ll be by tomorrow.”

“Sure.”

“What time works for you?”

“I’ll be out in the morning. Will the afternoon work?”

She gave him a rare, beaming smile. “Sure. Thanks, Brad.”

“Anything for you, sweetie,” he said.

Brad had no intention of being anywhere Mia could find him or the papers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment