Monday, October 29, 2018

Apple Picking




We went apple picking in Oak Glen on Saturday and while we were there, something occurred to me. Something that I desperately wanted for myself and my children has finally happened for my grandchildren.
I was born late in my parents' lives. A surprise baby when both of my parents were in their forties. So, while my siblings were blessed with a passel of cousins close to their ages who attended their schools and church functions, I had two cousins within a year or two of my age, and neither of them lived nearby. Granted, I had many cousins who were eight to fifteen years older than me, but when you're a kid, you can't really be playmates with these almost-adults. (Although, I do love and admire my cousins. They're terrific role-models.)
My husband and I are both the sixth children in our families. My children had a few cousins their ages, but none of them lived nearby for very long. I tried to create for my children what my siblings had enjoyed, but wasn't really successful. We took a few vacations with our siblings and had cousins come to visit. For a few years, we were able to spend wonderful holidays with my in-laws at their mountain home, but these gatherings were few and far between--nothing like the constant-camaraderie my family now enjoys.
Three of my children, and their families, live within thirty minutes of us. Two are away at college and one lives on the east coast--which is better than China, which is a possibility they like to banter about. Thanks to modern technology, we see and speak to these outliers often.
Of course, there's no guarantee that those who are here will all continue to share our happy bubble--living in each other's back-pockets--or that those who are missing will ever return, but, for the time being, we're incredibly blessed.

We're missing one in this picture, but he lives in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment