Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Trudy’s Tasty Tapioca Pudding and a Serving of Marilyn Monroe! #FOOD FICTION


CHERISHED RECIPES FROM THE KITCHEN OF TRUDY VANDERHOOVEN

At the request of readers, a selection of Midwestern recipes appears in My Friend Marilyn. They were used by Penny Parker’s landlady, Trudy Vanderhooven. While Trudy is a work of fiction, the recipes are time-tested treasures from St. Olaf’s Church Ladies Association’s cookbook.

Trudy’s Tasty Tapioca Pudding
3 cups whole milk
1/3 cup small-pearl tapioca (not instant)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
1/8 teaspoon fine salt

Place 1 cup of the milk and the tapioca pearls in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Let the pearls soak uncovered at room temperature for 1 hour. Add the remaining 2 cups of milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla seeds and salt. Stir to combine. Place the pan over medium heat and cook. Whisk frequently, until the mixture just comes to a simmer, about 10 minutes (do not let the mixture boil). Reduce the heat to low and cook. Whisk frequently, until the mixture thickens and the tapioca pearls are softened and translucent, about 15 minutes. Serve warm (the pudding will thicken as it cools) or chill in the refrigerator.







What follows is from the recently released historical-fiction novel My Friend Marilyn. After being named Marilyn Monroe's assistant, a big-and-bold dime-store cashier is surrounded by show-biz temptations and hidden dangers during the filming of SOME LIKE IT HOT in 1958 at Hotel del Coronado. Get Your Copy Here!


“Is that your husband?” Marilyn pointed to the sepia-colored photo of a uniformed man above the hearth.
“Yes, that’s my Vernon. I came here from Minnesota to be with him. Left everything. And everyone. And the ice and the moose and the mosquitoes. For him. And I’d do it again. In a heartbeat. Yes, in a heartbeat.”
“Sounds like quite a guy.”
“Yes, he was. You could make a movie about what he went through, and what we shared. He was no saint, though. But he was mine. And living with him—and loving him—taught me something everyone should know and not have to discover the hard way.”
“What’s that?”
“Give me a second to get this straight in my head so it comes out right.” Trudy blinked a few times. “We came to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person, perfectly.”
“That’s so true. I’m going to remember it.” Marilyn continued, “Mind if I use it in the future? You’re so smart!”
“I’m not smart at all. But sometimes I guess I do amaze myself. Then I’ll do something stupid, like putting the laundry in the oven. Nobody’s perfect, that’s what I always say.”
I came down the stairs into the living room. “Didn’t interrupt anything, did I?”
“Not a thing, honey. Feel more like yourself now?”
“Yep, just Penny from the five and dime.” I looked over at my broken shoe. “I even had my fairytale moment. But I’m not sure a broken heel really counts.”
“How about some tapioca? Won’t take but a minute to dish it up?”
“Sounds wonderful.” It did sound wonderful. “I didn’t get a bite of dinner. We ordered, but then my lady parts ordered me to the ladies’ room. And now me—and my parts—are here. Thanks to Marilyn, a real crisis was averted.” I stopped to laugh. “Oh my gosh. You should have seen us. Imagine me. In a bathroom stall. Bleeding. In my dream dress. And Marilyn dressed in that get up helping me deal with it all.”
Marilyn confessed, “I’ve been in some memorable situations. That was one…well, I’ll always remember it.”
“Hard to believe, right? Me and Marilyn having an adventure in the ladies’ room. And now we’re here with you. Say, are there any leftovers from dinner?”
“Sure. Miss Monroe, are you sure you won’t have something to eat?”
I eyed Marilyn and winked that it was okay.
“Sure. I’d love whatever you have. This is Penny’s night. And please call me Marilyn.”
“Come with me then. You don’t mind being in the kitchen, do you?”
“Of course not. I love being in my kitchen, but I’m never home.”
I chimed in, “I hate it when I go in the kitchen looking for food and all I find are ingredients.” I poked at my stiff hairdo with a pencil from on the counter. “That’s why I love living with Trudy. Well, one of the reasons.”
“You two can eat in the dining room.” Trudy’s head was in the refrigerator.
“Nonsense. The kitchen table will be fine.” Marilyn pulled out a chair. Before she sat, she asked, “Is there something I can do to help?”
“Nothing at all,” Trudy replied. “This lady-boss of yours is not what I expected, Penny.”
“No, she’s not. Thank goodness.” I sat on the chair next to Marilyn’s. “Say, how’s about we start with the soup of the day: whiskey with ice croutons?”
Trudy revealed her face from around the refrigerator door. Her eyes were sharply aimed at me.
I grinned in return. “That was meant to be a joke.”
“I’m a Midwestern cook. I know my way around a kitchen. Potatoes. Ketchup. Butter. That’s all I need.” Trudy pulled out a casserole dish. She lifted the tin foil that acted as a lid. “I call this Desperation Hot Dish. Look good?”
“Delicious.” Marilyn’s eyes sparkled.
“Serve it up.” I couldn’t wait. “I’ll even eat it cold.”
“Nonsense.” Trudy turned on the stove and placed the dish on the burner. “Just so you know, there’s macaroni, hamburger, corn, kidney beans and a can of tomato soup in it. All we do back home is stir it up and let it bubble and bake in the oven. Some shredded cheese on top and voila.”
Trudy went back to the refrigerator and pulled out a cut-glass salad bowl. “How about some Ginger Ale Jello Salad to go with your hot dish?”
Marilyn and I smiled at each other.
“Please don’t go to any trouble.”
“No trouble at all, Marilyn. I do this for a living at the dime store. I don’t know if Penny told you I run the lunch counter…for people who appreciate a nice meal and a nice conversation. And for those who gobble and go. Human wood chippers, that’s what they are. Anyway, I make a mean grilled-cheese sandwich.”

No comments:

Post a Comment