Saturday, September 7, 2019

Watch Me Write a Novel in a Week

 


I'm setting a lofty goal. I'm attempting to write a 50k word romantic comedy in six days. I'll post my daily output here on my blog, and social media. I'll set daily goals and write the outline for the next day everynight before I go to bed.

My goal: to write 2k words in a 60 minute sprint.

Monday, 10-5
Tuesday, 9-4
Wednesday 9-5 (unless my husband takes the day off--it's his birthday)
Thursday 9-5 (A group of friends and I are starting a podcast practice, and we talked of practicing on this day. Not sure if that's still happening.)
Friday 11-3
Saturday

Life will get in the way. I'm expecting it to do that, but even if it takes me two weeks, that's still amazing.

My friend Greta Boris (you can check her books out here) introduced me to what I'm calling the stone and sand method. It harkens back to an anology on time management that I'm sure everyone is familiar with where you have a jar, large rocks, and sand. The large rocks are your priorities and the sand is the frivilous. If you put in the sand first, your rocks won't fit in the jar, but if the rocks go in first, you can pour in the sand and because it can fill all the empty spaces, everything fits.

What does that have to do with writing a novel? You write the basic plot points first, then you go back and fill in the descriptions. That's what you'll be seeing. The first draft will be rough. Also, when I come to a brain-fart moment or I write a clunky sentence I don't stop and try to fix it, I simply mark it with a @. By the end of the first draft, I typically have about 75 @s littered throughout the manuscript. I usually will need a day to clean them up before I attempt a rewrite.

I'll also be posting visuals on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment