Monday, January 28, 2019

Through a Glass Darkly


Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
I love this passage and must have read it hundreds, if not thousands, of times, but just recently, I saw it differently. I particularly love the language in verse 12.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
What does this mean and why is it tucked here in a passage about charity? I think it means that when we look in a mirror, we see ourselves and we think we know who we are, but we really don't see ourselves as God sees us...  but then shall I know even as also I am known. God sees us as His children. He knows our talents and gifts and how we can best serve His children. He also knows that this practice of charity will make our lives rich and full.
Charity then is to help others see themselves as God sees them--as His beloved children.
 In Psalms 82 we read:
Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
Charity then is not just to lift and bless others, but to help them see through the darkness and catch a glimpse of who they really are.
CS Lewis wrote: 

“It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest most uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which,if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree helping each other to one or the other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all of our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

No comments:

Post a Comment