Thursday, March 22, 2018

That Month in Tuscany--a book review

I loved this book. All of the characters felt very real to me, although I did wonder why Lizzy had stayed with Ty for so long. At first I found the shifting point of views annoying: Lizzy and Ren in first person present tense, Ty in second person (who does that?) and Kylie in third person. But I got used to it and even eventually wondered if the second person POV worked because it showed just how self-centered Ty was.

Parts of the novel read like a travel journal, and I mean that in a really good way. I loved the sights, sounds, and tastes of Tuscany. But the best part of this book was the emotion. It oozed. Here's what I mean:

"--my regular life where a day is normally sectioned off by appointments and fundraising meetings and grocery shopping and all of those things that somehow manage to steal most of the best parts of our waking hours.
I wonder how it is that we go along year after year never questioning the routines we've set for ourselves, never wondering if it could be different. I feel as if I've opened a door and discovered a way of life that makes so much more sense to me. A slower pace that allows me to actually see the beauty around me. Hear the song in the sounds and feel appreciation for it all."

"There's always a sense of impatience to get to the next thing. The next case. The next rung up the law firm ladder. He is constantly checking his watch, and I've wondered many times if it's because he would rather be doing something than what he is doing with me at that moment."

"Things started to change. They were little shifts in the beginning. Like the tremors way down deep in the earth, predicting a quake to come. I felt them like pinpricks to the skin."

"I felt as if someone had taken a wrecking ball to a life I had so carefully put together. It lay around me shards and smithereens."

No comments:

Post a Comment