Monday, March 14, 2016

Mustering the Muse, part 4

I love this quote by Friedrich Nietzsche. It's fascinating to me because Friedrich spent the last ten years of his life out of touch with reality. It's believed that his sister, care-giver, and a well-known anti-semite, rewrote much of his work to fit her own beliefs, making Nietzsche  prophetic when he stated, "All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." 

Nietzsche also wrote the famous quote, "God is dead." But he wasn't as atheist as you might think. Here is an expanded version of the quote.  "God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Yet his shadow still looms. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us?"
Here are a few more of my favorite quotes by Nietzche.
There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving.

The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.

4 comments:

  1. Love the quotes. It's not uncommon for writers to be misquoted and changed. Stanislavsky's acting advice came to the West originally in bowdlerised form. Fortunately, it still worked. But it led to adoptions of parts of his working theories to the exclusion of others - not so good. My heroine leaps into flying without a thought: http://www.amazon.com/Mademoiselle-At-Arms-ebook/dp/B008K5IPNQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by! Your book looks great.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, words are plastic, and can be changed by others into shapes and meanings that the original author never intended. I have two favorite quotes; the first is from the poet Langston Hughes : Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life becomes a broken winged bird that cannot fly. The second is unattributable, for I have heard it credited to at least six different sources (with minor differences); the one I use is : Writing is easy; all you have to do is stare at the page until drops of blood form on your forehead.

    I did see one of my dreams come true; I was invited to come stay at an Egyptian archaeological dig house to research a book. Civilians never get to stay at dig houses! The result is A KILLING AT EL KAB, now available on Amazon pre-order at the bargain price of $2.99 until the official release date of 20 March. http://amzn.com/B01CO5UKYE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I would love to go to Egypt. I went to Israel when I was a student. Our professor didn't want to go to Egypt, because of a previous bad experience. He said that he once spent eleven cents for a hotel there and it wasn't worth it. I hope to go, though. I can afford more than an eleven cents hotel so my experience should be different.

    ReplyDelete