Thursday, May 21, 2015

So Now I'm a Wasteful Liar, and a Cooking Cheat

On the days I write, it seems as if the sun always shines (which isn't surprising, since I live in Southern California and we're in the middle of drought) and all of my lights are green. But when I'm not writing, all of my lights are red.

Or is it that when I'm involved in something creative I'm happy, and when I'm not, I'm cranky, and it just seems as if everything goes wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

Tonight is the cooking class at our church where we're supposed to demonstrate how to effectively use food storage. I said I would make cookies made out of whole wheat. Sadly, my whole wheat flour was bug infested. No problem, I have wheat and a wheat grinder. But the wheat grinder decided not to work, at least not very well. I tried making the cookies with partially ground wheat. It was like eating cookies filled with pebbles.

So, I threw it all away and started over. (Not really the most practical or economical choice and if we really were starving and trying to conserve our food, we'd probably gnaw on the cookies, but pride rules over economy.) I had to open a new package of brown sugar and it was almost as rocky as the wheat--but better tasting. And as for the whole wheat flour? That didn't happen. My cookies are full of white flour, even though the recipe I'll pass out tonight will say differently.

So now I'm a wasteful liar, and cooking cheat, and the hero in my story is still floating out in the middle ocean, minutes away from being captured from the British navy. But at least I have cookies.
And they're actually pretty good.

ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups rolled oats
2 eggs
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon milk

1 (12 ounce) pkg semisweet chocolate chips

No comments:

Post a Comment